August 16, 2005

Sashimi, atari-ya & Selfridges

My hunt for the best sashimi continues.

Aside from the Tokyo fish market [Tsukiji fish market] and having just caught your own fish or fish fresh from a fishing boat, your next best bet is to befriend your fishmonger [more on fishmongers in another post] but after that I recommend Atari-ya

Atari-ya (link in Japanese) has a sashimi counter in Selfridges, and shops at West Finchley [595 High Road, N12 0DY] and the one I’ve been to at 7 Station Parade, Noel Road, West Acton W3 0DS (020 8896 1552).

I’m told Mr Sakai supplies fish to many of the best restaurants in London.

Certainly I’ve found no where better for amaebi (sweet prawn), hamachi (yellow tail tuna – my favourite) and toro (fatty tuna). Also uni (sea urchin), clam and the more regular salmon, mackerel and white fishes.

You can also get whole turbot and regular fishmonger things.

If you’re a bit of sashimi fanatic, go seek it out.

£10 will do you a mini-feast at half or less what you’d pay in top notch restaurants and possibly better as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home