February 05, 2006

Kulu Kulu Sushi

Kulu Kulu Sushi
76 Brewer Street
Piccadilly Circus
London
W1F 9TU
Map

Ben introduced me to this place and for that, I am eternally grateful. Good, fresh, sushi and sashimi, and the location for countless happy suppers. Being a very informal conveyor-belt place, and slap bang in the middle of town, its also a favorite for grabbing a bite to eat on my own and useful to remember in that regard.

Favorites include fantastic hand-rolls with salmon, avocado, hot and fresh tempura prawn in crispy nori - a sensational, sensual experience of hot crispy tempura, smooth avocado and slippery salmon. Other good things - the salmon sashimi is always of excellent quality, their deep-fried silken tofu in a little broth is absolutely delicious, mackerel is always lovely too, and because you can see them working in front of you, it's possible to grab the best and the freshest stuff as it gets put on the conveyor. Some things don't come round automatically but you can order - often ama-ebi (sweet shrimp) comes into this category.

Its also extremely reasonably priced - you can stuff yourself silly on delicious things for under £15 and if you are a little more restrained and avoid the expensive options, you can do extremely well and still feel full for under £10. Green tea is free and they also have beer and sake. It used to be a weekly venue of mine before the Other Cinema closed as we used to do Wednesday film night with sushi beforehand - a perfect midweek break. I think I've tried to introduce almost all my friends to Kulu Kulu at some point as a perfect hideout in the West End for when you haven't made a reservation and don't feel like braving the endless gauntlet of rather mediocre eating establishments.

Only note: it's not open on Sundays. Which recently precipitated a very frustrating moment for me when I was relying on it for sustenance in the middle of a nightmarish shopping expedition. I nearly cried when I got to Brewer Street and saw the doorway was dark.

1 Comments:

Blogger MadameSarina said...

I went to Kulu Kulu last week and felt more reassured by your recommendations as I had never been to a conveyor belt sushi place before.
A great place, I would definately go again as I thought it was a sweet place to go for a secret romantic date with my BF.
I was restrained and didnt eat too much! hurah!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home